(none) gutti
/ hjßlp / listar / skrßningar / leita / RSS /

HŠtt a­ rugla gps

From: Einar Kjartansson (
02705@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Tue 02 May 2000 - 08:27:07 UTC

  • NŠsta brÚf: Sigurjon Sindrason: "Re: HŠtt a­ rugla gps"

    SamkvŠmt ■essu er gps rugli­ hŠtt!!

    ----- Forwarded message from Pßlmi SÝmonarson <02738@xyz.molar.is> -----

    From: Pßlmi SÝmonarson <02738@xyz.molar.is>
    To: Bergur Ragnarsson <02782@xyz.molar.is>,
            Brynjar Arnarson
             <02827@xyz.molar.is>,
            "Einar Kjartansson (E-mail)" <02871@xyz.molar.is>,
            Hei­ar Har­arson <02901@xyz.molar.is>
    Subject: HŠtt vi­ SA :)
    Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:03:25 -0000

    May 1, 2000

    STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT REGARDING THE UNITED STATES? DECISION TO
    STOP DEGRADING GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM ACCURACY

                                  THE WHITE HOUSE

                           Office of the Press Secretary

    For Immediate Release May 1, 2000

                       STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT REGARDING
                   THE UNITED STATES? DECISION TO STOP DEGRADING
                        GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM ACCURACY

    Today, I am pleased to announce that the United States will stop the
    intentional degradation of the Global Positioning System (GPS) signals
    available to the public beginning at midnight tonight. We call this
    degradation feature Selective Availability (SA). This will mean that
    civilian users of GPS will be able to pinpoint locations up to ten times
    more accurately than they do now. GPS is a dual-use, satellite-based
    system that provides accurate location and timing data to users
    worldwide.
    My March 1996 Presidential Decision Directive included in the goals for
    GPS
    to: ?encourage acceptance and integration of GPS into peaceful civil,
    commercial and scientific applications worldwide; and to encourage
    private
    sector investment in and use of U.S. GPS technologies and services.? To
    meet these goals, I committed the U.S. to discontinuing the use of SA by
    2006 with an annual assessment of its continued use beginning this year.

    The decision to discontinue SA is the latest measure in an on-going
    effort
    to make GPS more responsive to civil and commercial users worldwide.
    Last
    year, Vice President Gore announced our plans to modernize GPS by adding
    two new civilian signals to enhance the civil and commercial service.
    This
    initiative is on-track and the budget further advances modernization by
    incorporating some of the new features on up to 18 additional satellites
    that are already awaiting launch or are in production. We will continue
    provide all of these capabilities to worldwide users free of charge.

    My decision to discontinue SA was based upon a recommendation by the
    Secretary of Defense in coordination with the Departments of State,
    Transportation, Commerce, the Director of Central Intelligence, and
    other
    Executive Branch Departments and Agencies. They realized that worldwide
    transportation safety, scientific, and commercial interests could best
    be
    served by discontinuation of SA. Along with our commitment to enhance
    GPS
    for peaceful applications, my administration is committed to preserving
    fully the military utility of GPS. The decision to discontinue SA is
    coupled with our continuing efforts to upgrade the military utility of
    our
    systems that use GPS, and is supported by threat assessments which
    conclude
    that setting SA to zero at this time would have minimal impact on
    national
    security. Additionally, we have demonstrated the capability to
    selectively
    deny GPS signals on a regional basis when our national security is
    threatened. This regional approach to denying navigation services is
    consistent with the 1996 plan to discontinue the degradation of civil
    and
    commercial GPS service globally through the SA technique.

    Originally developed by the Department of Defense as a military system,
    GPS
    has become a global utility. It benefits users around the world in many
    different applications, including air, road, marine, and rail
    navigation,
    telecommunications, emergency response, oil exploration, mining, and
    many
    more. Civilian users will realize a dramatic improvement in GPS
    accuracy
    with the discontinuation of SA. For example, emergency teams responding
    a cry for help can now determine what side of the highway they must
    respond
    to, thereby saving precious minutes. This increase in accuracy will
    allow
    new GPS applications to emerge and continue to enhance the lives of
    people
    around the world.

                                     30-30-30