Re: Scaling fonts not working as expected

From: Peter Wood (
20147@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Wed 20 Mar 2013 - 13:51:04 GMT

    Tony,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I had previously tried doing this by changing the font size, but the
    results I got were odd. Here's an example:

    * Using font BodoniXT.TTF, initial size 70, image width 615px. Test string
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW (20 'W's) display_width was initially 1298px. Got
    scaling ratio of 0.473805855161787, resulting in new font size of
    33.1664098613251. Applied this new size and got display_width of 619px.
    Exceeded the boundaries of the image by just 4px.
    * Same font, size, image width, but new, shorter test string. Test string
    was same as above less one 'W'. display_width was initially 1233px. Got
    scaling ratio of 0.498783454987835, resulting in new font size of
    34.9148418491484. Applied this new size and got display_width of 644px,
    exceeding the image width by 29px.
    * The first test string that actually fit inside the image width was 15
    'W's. This had an initial width of 973px, which resulted in a scaling
    ratio of 0.632065775950668 and a new font size of 44.2446043165468. With
    the new size, this rendered at a width of 613px, just 2px inside the
    boundaries.

    Other fonts had different points where the final size would fit or not fit
    inside the boundaries.

    One of my colleagues suggested that this was due to font hinting, which
    could change at different font sizes and result in different string
    widths. We felt that trying to scale the font rather than change its size
    might give better results, in particular because this was supposed to
    disable font hinting.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Peter