Re: Line width coming soon ?

From: Tony Cook (
17848@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Thu 24 Jan 2008 - 23:12:09 GMT

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 02:28:15PM -0800, Dean Arnold wrote:
> I saw a note RE: release 0.63 that mentioned "thick lines".
> I assume that's configurable linewidth ? Is there any
> chance that will show up soon ?

The intent there is that line()/polyline() will take an extra
parameter to control line thicknesses, and perhaps some extra
parameters to control line ends and joins.

Well, if 0.63 happens soon, it won't have this feature, I'm still
fiddling with the fix for RT#29879.

> I'm working on a mapping module (Imager::Map::Mercatur)
> loosely based on GD::Map, and wanted to optimize drawing
> of the 1000's of tiny linesegments by using polyline,
> but without a line thickness parameter, I'll have
> to change that to a polygon...and then the computation
> gets ugly (since map line segments can go in any direction).
>
> If someone's already coded up a solution to this issue, I'd be
> much obliged if you could pass it along.

Going from a line segment to a polygon isn't that hard, see:

http://www.develop-help.com/imager/thickline.pl.txt

This doesn't handle joining lines though.

Tony