Re: warping?

From: Jonathan Vanasco (
15730@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Wed 07 Jun 2006 - 01:56:28 GMT

    On Jun 6, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Alex Teslik wrote:

    > I hate to be the "don't reinvent the wheel guy", but...
    > Authen::Captcha
    > http://search.cpan.org/~unrtst/Authen-Captcha-1.023/Captcha.pm
    >
    > GD::SecurityImage
    > http://search.cpan.org/~burak/GD-SecurityImage-1.61/lib/GD/
    > SecurityImage.pm
    >
    > GD::SecurityImage::AC
    > http://search.cpan.org/~burak/GD-SecurityImage-AC-1.10/lib/GD/
    > SecurityImage/AC.pm
    >
    > these all seem to do various incarnations of the job with no dev
    > time. Useless
    > in regards to Imager directly, but...

    I know about all of them. the reason why i'm re-inventing the wheel
    is because IMHO the wheel sucks.

    a_ they all use gd. i can't use gd - i'm using imager for other
    things and i can't afford the overhead in my environment. i also
    don't like gd especially keeping it up to date across multiple
    machines, hence why i chose imager.
    b_ they all are geared towards creating an image , saving it, and
    serving it - which works on a single server, but doesn't in a
    clustered environment
    c_ they are all geared towards visual captchas, and either don't
    support or can't support other forms. the performance of their
    generation is also really bad.

    i have a system in python that does this (and i'm 2/3 through porting
    it to perl)
            a- uses a public/private key to make time limited challenges, which
    can be turned into one-time use via a db in the user app. it
    clusters transparently, which is what i need.
            b- considers the turing test to be the main module, and the image a
    subclass. it supports img captchas , text captchas "what is two plus
    three?" , and could trivially do sound - all through a standard
    interface.