Re: 16 bit tiff images not detected properly

From: Tony Cook (
14361@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Wed 03 Aug 2005 - 01:10:33 GMT

    On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:25:16PM -0700, Alex Teslik wrote:
    > I'm trying to grab image info using Imager. All of my images are 16 bit tiff
    > images, but Imager is reporting them as 8 bit images. libtiff seems to see
    > them correctly (my understanding is that Imager is using the libtiff libraries?).

    When Imager's tiff reader was written Imager only supported 8-bit
    images, and it hasn't been updated to support higher color resolution
    images.

    It's something I've looked at in the past, but while libtiff has a
    simple interface for reading image data as RGBA 8-bit/sample data,
    there isn't one for reading as RGBA data at any other width, so I've
    put it off.

    It would be simple to set image tags based on the image metadata, so
    you could get the image information you needed, but Imager would still
    be loading the image at 8 bits/sample.