Re: One last font question

From: Tony Cook (
09758@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Tue 03 Jun 2003 - 23:39:00 GMT

    On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 04:49:53PM -0500, Dan Muey wrote:
    > I swear after I get these then I'll leave you all alone! ;p
    >
    > 1) If I am able to use Truetype fonts ok with Imager then does it work to simply upload new .ttf file and put the path to those in the script or do you have to install new .ttf
    > Files somehow to incorporate them into imager?

    If you're not using the win32 driver, put the files anywhere, and supply
    the full path (or a relative path) to the font file.

    If you want to use the win32 driver (only under Win32, including
    cygwin), install the font as a Windows font, and supply the face name
    of the font.

    > 2) When Imager::Font guesses the font type based on file extension:
    > .ttf files are Truetype
    > .pbf files are t1 postscript
    > 2.a)
    > .??? Files are Freetype2
    > 2.b)
    > .??? Files are Win32 fonts
    > 2.c)
    > can you even use win32 files on a *nix server?, assuming you have gdi32.lib|libgdi32.a and windows.h on your server of course

    You can only use the Win32 driver under Win32 - and the Win32 driver just
    uses the installed Win32 fonts, you supply a face name, not a
    filename.

    As to which driver is used, that's a bit more complex.

    By default, a .ttf file is handled by Freetype 1.x, a .pfb file by
    TTLib, and a variety of fonts is handled by Freetype 2.x, in that
    order. Freetype 2.x can handle all of the fonts that the other two
    can handle.

    You can use the priority() method to change the order. The FT1.x
    caches the glyphs, so it should be a little faster, but FT2.x renders
    a little more nicely. Some features, like transformations, are only
    available in FT2.x.

    You can override which driver you use by creating the font with the
    "type" parameter:

      my $font = Imager::Font->new(file => $filename, type=>'ft2');