RE: font libraries

From: Dan Muey (
09641@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Tue 03 Jun 2003 - 21:17:53 GMT

    > The freetype2 library is probably called
    > libfreetype.so (which is usually a symlink to a
    > specific version number).
    >
    > On my machine this is in:
    > /usr/lib/libfreetype.so

    Cool...
    # locate libfreetype.so
    /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so
    /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.9
    #

    # setenv IM_VERBOSE 1
    # setenv IM_LIBPATH /usr/local/lib
    # printenv
    IM_LIBPATH=/usr/local/lib
    IM_VERBOSE=1
    #
    # perl Makefile.PL
        ungif: includes found - libraries found
          tiff: includes found - libraries found
           w32: includes not found - libraries not found
      T1-fonts: includes not found - libraries not found
           png: includes found - libraries found
     freetype2: includes found - libraries found
           gif: includes found - libraries not found
          jpeg: includes found - libraries found
      TT-fonts: includes not found - libraries found
    #

    YES!!!!!! Thanks! That got my freetype2 fonts installed plus png which I knew was in there.

    Whoo Hoo Now I can do some stuff.

    Also for anyone who may be looking for the same info I was:
    Now that Arnar has helped me do this I figured out how to determine
    the names of any of the libs or incs it's looking for:

            cat ./Makefile.PL |grep inccheck
            cat ./Makefile.PL |grep libcheck

    Take one example :
            libcheck=>sub { $_[0] eq "libpng$aext" or $_[0] eq "libpng.$lext" },
    Then do:
            locate libpng.so libpng.a
    Then add the directory they're in to your environment with setenv.
    I also like to do
     setenv IM_VERBOSE 1
    So I can see more of what's happening.

    Then check it all with prinenv
    Then do the Makefile and see if it's all good then the make dance and we're set!

    Thanks Arnar this has helped a million!!!