RE: Font issues

From: Dan Muey (
09441@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Wed 28 May 2003 - 13:40:42 GMT

Thank you Tony and Scott for the input. I'll give those ideas a go today and see how it goes! I was hoping for a way to get fonts to use with Imager in the case I have to put my script on a machine I don't have the control over to install stuff. But if a host won't help a guy out then I need to go else where!

Thanks again!
Dan

_SCOTT_
        In FreeBSD, you can find Freetype and Freetype2 in the ports collection, you can install them by following these simple commands...

cd /usr/ports/print/freetype;
make install distclean;
cd /usr/ports/print/freetype2;
make install distclean;

_TONY_
The problem isn't that you have no fonts installed, the problem is that you have no font rendering libraries installed.

Under Redhat you'd probably want to install the freetype RPMS installed (you probably have the shared libraries installed, and probably just need to install the development RPM.)

Under freebsd you might grab the sources from:

and follow the installation instructions.

Once you've installed freetype2, then try running:

  perl Makefile.PL

in an expanded Imager source tree, you should see a line like:

 freetype2: includes found - libraries found

in the output.

This same output indicates whether image format libraries were found too, such as libjpeg - if you need support for a format which is listed here, but can't find both includes and libraries, you will need to install that library too.