Re: Imager, stability and mod_perl

From: Tony Cook (
06753@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Tue 28 Jan 2003 - 00:24:37 GMT

    On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 06:39:21PM -0500, 06794@xyz.molar.is wrote:
    > I've just written a small HTML::Mason component that will take an image
    > and output a small icon of it, on the fly. This means I have Imager
    > loaded into mod_perl under apache. Does anyone one know of issues with
    > this arrangement. Specifically possible resource leaking, seg faults or
    > even security risks.
    >
    > I'm doing some agressive caching, so Imager isn't going to be used all
    > that often, but still.

    The main problem I see with using Imager under mod_perl is the
    increase in the memory footprint of your mod_perl children if you're
    working with large images. If you're working only with small images
    it shouldn't matter.

    But then, you probably already know this.

    > Arnar mentioned a bug in libgif, that Arthur has a patch for. I believe
    > I've applied this patch. I can't find the patch right now, so I'm not
    > sure and would like to make sure before deploying.

    If all of Imager's tests pass, and you're using giflib 4.x, you have the
    patch installed.