State of the iolayer

From: Arnar Mar Hrafnkelsson (
00470@xyz.molar.is)
Date: Fri 09 Mar 2001 - 11:45:06 UTC

    The earlier email showed the addition of the first format to support
    writes to a scalar.

    The trick here is that we only need to implement writing and then we can
    at the same time write to all kinds of sources (or sinks I guess in the
    case of writing).

    So here is a quick summary of the iolayer and what has and hasn't been
    implemented:

    Reading:
    jpeg, tiff, pnm are working.
    png, gif, raw have not been implemented yet.

    Writing:
    tiff is working.
    jpeg, pnm, png, gif, raw have not been implemented yet.

    Sources:
    Seekable files, buffer chains have been implemented.
    Unseekable, single buffer, callbacks have not been implemented.

    ~~~~~~

    There will probably be lots of issues with getting gif to work with this -
    so I might leave that until the end as a special case. (unless of course
    someone wants to do it sooner).

    ~~~~~~

    Lastly - I'll probably not have a lot of time for Imager during the next
    two months since I need to take some pesky exams. I wanted to get this
    out so it would simplify merging patches (which I will be receiving by
    the truckloads?).

      -- Arnar